Summer is a much quieter turf maintenance period than spring and fall. However, it remains to mow and water wisely. How and how often? And what are the mistakes to avoid? Here are all the keys to properly maintain your lawn in summer.
1. Space the grass clippings
With watering, lawn mowing is one of the only maintenance constraints in the summer. But, good news: it’s useless to mow as much as in the spring! Indeed, if the grass proliferates in the spring, invigorated by a long winter rest, it slows down the summer.
Also, very logically you can space the clippings:
- Once a week at once every 2 weeks, or 3 depending on your lawn, is enough.
- Ideally, it is better to mow in the middle of the afternoon, when the grass is dry (and your neighbors are still awake).
We advise you to keep the right grass height:
- So, the soil retains more moisture, which allows the grass to withstand heat better.
- Simply raise the height of cut 2 or 3 cm on your mower.
2. Intensify watering for a beautiful summer lawn
A beautiful lawn in summer is a well-watered lawn.
While upstream preparation and upkeep are crucial to summer turf, it is still essential to water the lawn at least once a week. Heat, it can completely burn:
- In the summer, when the temperature in the day exceeds 25 ° C and it is hot from 10 o’clock in the morning, it is wiser to water in the evening.
- The coolness of the night (or at least the absence of sunshine) limits evaporation and leaves time for the soil and grass to soak up the water.
Summer watering does not only intensify regarding frequency but also regarding volume:
- On average, it is advisable to bring at least 5 L / m² so that the water penetrates deeply into the ground.
- Of course, if the rain sprinkles for you your garden, no need to spend liters.
3. Bring bottom fertilizer by the end of the summer
As early as September, the period is favorable to bring to the lawn a balanced bottom fertilizer (NPK type 15-15-15) which will ensure the excellent development of the roots and promote the resistance of turf to disease for a whole year.
The beginning or the end of September are suitable for this purpose.
4. Mistakes to avoid to maintain your lawn in the summer
Because we have sometimes fallen behind the spring maintenance schedule, it is occasionally tempting to want to catch up with the summer. Bad idea! Here are some explanations.
Scarification and aeration of the soil
You can overtake a bit and do it in early summer if the soil is not too hot and dry.
After this time, it will damage your lawn more than it will invigorate. If the scarification is planned in the spring, it is on the one hand that the foam is formed in winter, and on the other hand that at this period, the turf is in full regrowth, contrary to the summer.
Compost and fertilizer
Be very careful because some products are banned in the summer – such as triple or double action fertilizers and long-lasting fertilizers for example – because they can, in case of high heat, burn the grass.
In fact, if you still want to pamper your garden:
- take the time to read all the information provided;
- favor natural fertilizers;
- apply during cool periods;
- Water copiously after application so that the product penetrates quickly.