Vigorous winter, prolonged drought, and also damage caused by rodents or just a lawn overdue for lack of care over several seasons are all on your garden? Your garden needs a little renovation then. These operations require little skill, just a little physical effort.
Here’s how to properly maintain your lawn.
Principle of scarification
Scarifying or defoliating a garden consists of scratching the ground to a depth of 2 to 4 mm to:
- remove the existing layer of thatch (or felt) between the soil and the grass;
- uproot weeds;
- Also, improve lawn growth and increased water penetration.
3 types of scarifier exist:
- the manual scarifier with handle, resembling a rake;
- the manual scarifier equipped with wheels;
- the electric knife scarifier, more powerful, so more efficient.
Scarifying the lawn is done twice a year in the spring and fall.
To scarify your lawn:
- Mow your lawn short enough.
- Work on the slightly wet ground. Moreover, if necessary water your lawn beforehand.
- Pass the scarifier:
- cross passages to crisscross the field;
- the depth of scarification must not exceed 5 mm in order not to damage the roots of the turf.
- Recover the waste with care.
Your lawn seems a little back, and also it’s perfectly normal! Just avoid trampling on the following days. By so doing, she will regain the vigor and beauty of her early youth in a few days.
The aeration of a lawn makes it possible to favor:
- infiltration of water and nutrients, more effectively than defoliation;
- the penetration of oxygen;
- the activity of soil microorganisms;
- Moreover, the root development of the plant.
Aerate the lawn twice a year in the spring and fall.
Several techniques are possible:
- To the aerator skates that you set under your shoes: not very useful because their holes are not deep enough and also the method is tedious.
- At the fork spade:
- Push the fork about 15 cm into the ground, every 15 cm.
- Also, expand the holes.
- In the aerator carter, a hollow-toothed fork that allows easy removal of soil “carrots” from the ground. Let the carrots therefore decompose on the spot.
- At the mechanical core drilling (preferable to renting): it has reservations for large areas.
Then you can take advantage of this ventilation to amend according to the nature of the soil.
3. Restore your lawn
Rebuilding a lawn involves over-sowing an area that has already been sown, but is scattered or considered insufficiently dense.
It is better to use a reline turf, the seeds are coated. Also do not attract birds and germination is faster.
The reline is done in early spring or fall, so you do not have to worry about watering.
To replenish your lawn:
- Mow your lawn.
- Scarify the ground to remove the stubble.
- Eliminate pebbles, roots …
- Spread the seeds by hand in a uniform way (in the absence of wind preferably). And also by squaring the ground to be refilled.
- Cover the area with a thin layer of potting soil.
- Pass the roller to impregnate the seeds in the soil, but without compacting it.
- Water in the fine rain and maintain moisture to facilitate germination.
- Avoid walking in this area for at least 3 weeks.
4. Take your turf
Repairing damaged or bare areas in a lawn should be done as soon as possible. First for aesthetic reasons, then to prevent weeds from occupying the ground.
If the damage is due to a parasite, make sure that the treatment has been effective. Do not replant too quickly.
These repairs must be carried out from mid-May to mid-June, or from mid-August to mid-September.
For a new seedling:
- Remove the damaged or dead lawn.
- Stir the soil to a depth of about 10 cm using a spade.
- Seed return areas with turf grass.
- Cover with a thin layer of potting soil.
- Water the earth.
- Mow the grass 20 days later by setting the blade to the highest cutting height.
For laying in rolls:
This solution allows you to benefit from an aesthetically present grass quickly. Sodding in turns can be done during the entire spring to fall season.
- Cut out the area to replant with the spade. Give it shape at right angles by possibly biting on the healthy part.
- Remove the old lawn.
- Remove the extra soil thickness on a excellent outcropping of the plates.
- Place or unroll the plates.
- Trample the new turf gently so that it comes into contact with the ground.
- Water abundantly for several days.
- Mow when the height of the stems reaches about 8 cm.
For more details, feel free to contact us and leave your comments below.